The Key lime pie is an American originated dessert that typically consists of lime juice, egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk. In fact, the key lime pie is the official pie for the entire state of Florida!
Our cooking corner gave this sweet treat a go, and we think it turned out fantastic. Why not give it a go yourself by following the same recipe as our cooking corner participants.
Serves 6-8 | Prep 20 minutes | Cooking 45-60 Minutes
- 300g Shortbread biscuits
- 1/3 cup (50g) roasted macadamias
- ½ cup (45g) desiccated coconut
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 4 x eggs, separated
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- Finely grated zest and juice of 4 x limes
- ¼ cup 55g caster sugar
- Icing sugar
- Melted dark chocolate and fresh raspberries to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and grease a 24cm loose-bottomed tart pan.
- Place biscuits macadamias and coconut in a food processor and whiz to fine crumbs
- Add butter and pulse a few times to combine
- Press the biscuit mixture into the base and sides of the tart pan, then chill for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Bake the biscuit base for 10 minutes or until golden brown, then allow to cool slightly
- Meanwhile, place egg yolks, condensed milk and lime zest and juice into a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon to combine
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric beater until frothy. Add the caster sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until soft peaks form.
- Fold the eggwhite mixture into the yolk mixture, then pour into the tart case.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the filling is just set
- Remove from the oven and cool (the filling will deflate slightly)
- Chill for 1 hour
- Dust the Key Lime Pie with icing sugar and drizzle with chocolate and serve with raspberries.