Did you know there are three options to manage your NDIS funding?
With a self-managed plan, the NDIA provides you with funding to access the supports that will best help you pursue your goals.
In this article we will be looking at how self-management can provide NDIS participants with a higher degree of choice and control. Self-management may not be right for everyone, so we’ve pulled together some key tips to consider, as well as some of the things you’ll be responsible for under this management option.
If you are thinking about self-managing, you need to understand your responsibilities as a self-manager. Your responsibilities include:
- Purchasing supports that link to the goals in your NDIS plan.
- Making clear agreements with your providers about the supports you will receive including how they will be provided and paid for.
- Managing your funding so the costs of the support give you value-for-money and can be met within your budget.
- Claiming and paying for supports by making payment requests and paying for your supports on time.
- Keeping invoices and receipts to show you have paid for your supports using your NDIS funding.
- Showing how you’ve used your self-managed funding towards pursuing your goals at your plan review.
- Advising the NDIA of any significant changes in your circumstances that may result in you being unable to meet your responsibilities as a self-manager.
- Participating in any payment auditing where you will need to provide invoices, receipts or other evidence to show you have spent your funds in-line with your NDIS plan.
“Being self-managed gives us a wider choice of therapy businesses we can use – as long as they fit within the goals,” said Kaysey, mum of two self-managed CPL clients.
“It also allows value for money, enabling negotiation with supports.”
Tips for successful self-management
- Set up a separate fee-free bank account for your NDIS funds
- Create a separate email address for your invoices to come to
- Allocate an hour or so per week to do your self-management admin
Be a savvy shopper
- Make your funds go further by finding discounts and shopping around
- Get advice and information from peer groups and do some training to make sure you’re the best self-manager you can be!
Get more info
- Check out the Guide to Self-Management and in particular Page 8 titled What Can I Buy?
For more information on plan management options, visit the NDIS website.